- Africa is an audio continent – data bundles are expensive, many phones are cheap and don’t support complicated apps.
- Africa uses technology like WhatsApp to distribute new publications like “The Continent” or the Audio-Podcast “Whats Crap on WhatsApp”.
- African journalist don’t have the time and resources to pretend that MobileJournalism or Investigative Journalism is an in-thing.
- It is rather a tool, that is being used – then a fashion.
- A smartphone is less threatening than a real camera in many African societies.
- Mojo means are being used in traditional TV, i.e. during a terror attack in Kenya or when a journalist discovers an environmental disaster and doesn’t have a cameraman at hand.
- Mind the regional differences: what is allowed on-camera in South Africa, can get you in jail in Mozambique or the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- NGOs and activists are using Mojo means – it’s the journalist’s task to show the difference between them and themselves.
Christoph Plate, Director Media Programme Subsahara-Africa, June 2020